Serving Patients in Southwest Florida
Why did my hearing aid stop working?
There could be a number of reasons why your hearing aid stopped working or isn’t working as good as it used to. Dead batteries, blocked filters, and changes in your hearing needs are all common reasons for compromised sound quality. Before taking your device to a professional for repair and maintenance, patients can try the following at home to restore clear sound:
- Turn it off and on. Your hearing aid could have accidentally been switched off, so turn it off and back on a few times to make sure there is nothing interfering with the switch.
- Check the battery. Hearing aid batteries may not last long if a user is wearing the device every day. Try replacing the batteries with fresh ones to see if it makes a difference. If the device still doesn’t work, check your manual to make sure you have inserted the batteries correctly, and inspect the battery contacts to make sure they are not dirty or corroded.
- Turn up the volume. If your hearing aid has manual volume control, check to see if the wheel has been turned to a low volume.
- Inspect the tubing. If you have a behind-the-ear device, check the tubing that connects the receiver to the hearing aid. The plastic tube may be worn, punctured, or damaged—and if so, replacing the tubing is an easy and inexpensive fix.
- Perform light cleaning. If you hear feedback or whistling sounds, remove the device and wipe down the outside using the cleaning cloth that came with it. Open the battery compartment and check the wax filter for any buildup or debris. Use the device’s tool kit to clean the sound outlet and microphone, and reinsert your hearing aid to see if this has restored sound.
- Check your settings. Depending on which device you have chosen, your hearing aid may have several different settings for different environments. Sound distortion can occur if your hearing aid is in telecoil mode or if you have a wireless device that is not working properly with your phone or television.
We Can Diagnose the Problem With Your Device
If you cannot find the reason why your hearing aid stopped working, our hearing care professionals would be happy to examine, clean, and repair your device. Call us today at 866-517-4415 to make an appointment, or drop by one of our Florida hearing aid offices nearest you.